The Commission brings enforcement suits in U.S. District Courts when matters are not satisfactorily resolved through the administrative enforcement process and sues to enforce administrative subpoenas. The agency also defends suits contesting its dismissals of administrative complaints, petitions for review of Commission decisions regarding the presidential public funding program and civil suits challenging the constitutionality of provisions of the Federal Election Campaign Act (FECA) and the validity of the Commission's regulations.
Active litigation involving the FEC. Each case listed has a dedicated page including a case summary, as well as links to court opinions and related documents filed in the suit.
- AB PAC v. FEC (22-2139)
- Campaign Legal Center v. FEC (22-1976)
- Campaign Legal Center v. FEC (22-3319)
- Campaign Legal Center v. FEC (21-0406 / 22-5140, 22-5167)
- Common Cause Georgia, et al. v. FEC (22-3067)
- CREW v. FEC (22-3281)
- CREW, et al. v. FEC (22-0035)
- CREW, et al. v. FEC (18-0076 / 19-5161)
- Defend Louisiana PAC et al.; FEC v.
- End Citizens United PAC v. FEC (21-1665 / 22-5176)
- End Citizens United PAC v. FEC (21-2128 / 22-5277)
- Free Speech For People, et al. v. FEC (22-666)
- Freedman v. FEC (22-1542)
- Heritage Action for America v. FEC (22-1422)
- John A. Castro v. FEC (22-2176)
- LATPAC; FEC v.
- Legacy Foundation v. FEC
- National Republican Senatorial Committee et al v. FEC et al (22-639)
- National Rifle Association Political Victory Fund, et al. v. FEC (22-1017)
- Palmer v. FEC (22-2876)
- Ready for Ron v. FEC (22-3282)
- Rivera; FEC v.
- Stein, et al. v. FEC (21-1213)
Selected court cases
Key court cases relating to the campaign finance law.
- Akins v. FEC
- Beaumont v. FEC
- Buckley v. Valeo
- Carey v. FEC
- Citizens United v. FEC
- Colorado Republican Federal Campaign Committee: FEC v.
- Davis v. FEC
- EMILY's List v. FEC
- Holmes, et al. v. FEC
- Massachusetts Citizens for Life (MCFL): FEC v.
- McConnell v. FEC
- McCutcheon, et al. v. FEC
- Republican Party of Louisiana, et al. v. FEC
- Shays v. FEC ("Shays III") (06-1247)
- SpeechNow.org v. FEC
- Van Hollen v. FEC
- Wisconsin Right to Life (WRTL) v. FEC
Alphabetical court case index
FEC cases are listed alphabetically with links to summaries and (for some cases) court opinions and other documents.