Additional reporting requirements apply to candidate committees less than 20 days but more than 48 hours before the day of an election in which the candidate is running. For these reporting purposes, election day begins at 12:01 a.m.
During this time period, committees file a 48-Hour Notice (Form 6) anytime they receive a contribution over $1,000. This notice is due within 48 hours of receiving each qualifying contribution. Committees will also itemize these last-minute contributions in their next regular report.
This reporting requirement applies to all types of contributions to authorized candidate committees, including the following:
- Contributions from the candidate
- Joint fundraisers in which the campaign participates
- Loans from the candidate and other non-bank sources
- Endorsements or guarantees of loans from banks
- Electronic filers must use the Form 6 and file electronically.
- Paper filers can file the Form 6 by fax at 202-219-0174.
Senate candidate committees always file by paper with the Secretary of the Senate. The Secretary of the Senate provides the option of filing by fax at 202-224-1851.
Always keep receipts of filing submissions.
Note: 48-Hour notices are not the same as 24-and 48-Hour reports (Form 5), which are for independent expenditures. Authorized committees never file Form 5.