The Commission considers new regulations and other public matters at public hearings. Members of the public can attend public hearings in person. Public hearings are also streamed live online. To attend in person, please bring a photo ID and be prepared to go through a security check. After security, attendees are escorted to the Commission's hearing room.
Wednesday, January 14, 2009 through Thursday, January 15, 2009 | 10:00 AM
Wednesday, January 14, 2009 | 10:00 a.m.
10:00 a.m. - 10:05 a.m. Introductory Remarks
10:05 a.m. - 11:25 a.m. Panel 1
- Jan Witold Baran, Wiley Rein LLP
- Robert F. Bauer, Perkins Coie LLP
- James Bopp, Jr., James Madison Center for Free Speech
11:25 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. Break
11:30 a.m. - 12:50 p.m. Panel 2
- Joseph M. Birkenstock, Caplin & Drysdale
- David M. Mason, Former Chairman
- Scott E. Thomas, Dickstein Shapiro LLP; Former Chairman
12:50 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. Lunch
2:00 p.m. - 3:20 p.m. Panel 3
- Marc E. Elias, Perkins Coie LLP
- William J. McGinley, Patton Boggs LLP
- Hans A. von Spakovsky, Former Commissioner
3:20 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. Break
3:30 p.m. - 4:50 p.m. Panel 4
Thursday, January 15, 2009 | 10:00 a.m.
Supplemental Information for Hearing
Documents Cited in Federal Register Notice
- Statement of Policy Regarding Deposition Transcriptions in Nonpublic Investigations
- Statement of Policy Regarding Self Reporting of Campaign Finance Violations (Sua Sponte Submissions)
- Statement of Policy Regarding Treasurers Subject to Enforcement Proceedings
- Statement of Policy Regarding the Disclosure of Closed Enforcement and Related Files
- Enforcement Procedural Rules for Probable Cause Hearings
- Description of Enforcement Procedures
- Description of Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) program
- Description of Administrative Fine program
- Materials from the FEC's 2003 Hearing on Enforcement Procedures
Additional Information on Agency Procedures
- FEC Offices
An interactive organizational chart provides access to descriptions of the offices that comprise the FEC and their functions.
- Strategic Plan FY 2008-2013
The framework for the FEC’s use of resources to administer and enforce the federal campaign finance laws.
- Enforcement Matters
An overview of the agency's compliance process supplemented by links to detailed information about the offices, programs and procedures involved.
- Advisory Opinions
A detailed description of the advisory opinion process, including instructions for requesting an opinion.
Statistics on Commission Operations
The FEC's annual Performance and Accountability Reports (PAR) contain the agency's financial statements, as required by the Accountability of Tax Dollars Act of 2002, as well as detailed statistics regarding agency operations.
Statistics on Enforcement and Compliance Operations
- Selected Enforcement Statistics for Fiscal Years 2003 - 2008 [Updated 1/13/09]
- Selected Enforcement Statistics by Stage and Civil Penalties for Fiscal Years 2006 - 2008
- Compliance Overview and Selected Compliance Statistics for Fiscal Years 2005 - 2008
- Enforcement Profile for Fiscal Year 2005 (October 1, 2004 – September 30, 2005)