At its open meeting of December 13, 2018, the Commission unanimously approved 11 legislative recommendations to send to Congress for consideration. The recommendations transmitted to Congress are available on the Commission's legislation page.
The Commission’s recommendations urge enactment of legislation that would:
- Require electronic filing of electioneering communication reports;
- Grant the FEC the authority to create Senior Executive Service positions;
- Prohibit fraudulent PAC practices;
- Revise provisions prohibiting fraudulent misrepresentation of campaign authority;
- Extend the prohibition on conversion of campaign funds to personal use;
- Prohibit aiding or abetting the making of contributions in the name of another;
- Increase and index for inflation certain registration and reporting thresholds;
- Increase the in-home event exemption and unreimbursed travel expense exemption for candidates and political parties;
- Permit political committees to make disbursements by methods other than by check;
- Update citations to reflect the recodification of the Federal Election Campaign Act; and
- Repeal convention funding provisions rendered non-operational by the Gabriella Miller Kids First Research Act.