skip navigation

Registering as a PAC

An individual or group can set up a "nonconnected committee" when it wants to set up a political action committee (PAC), and that PAC is not one of the following:

  • A political party committee
  • A candidate’s authorized committee
  • A separate segregated fund (SSF) established by a corporation or labor organization

Members of congress and other political leaders often establish nonconnected committees, usually called leadership PACs. Leadership PACs usually support candidates for various federal or nonfederal offices.

Super PACs and hybrid PACs are other types of nonconnected committees.