skip navigation
Here's how you know US flag signifying that this is a United States Federal Government website

An official website of the United States government

Here's how you know

Dot gov

The .gov means it’s official.
Federal government websites often end in .gov or .mil. Before sharing sensitive information, make sure you’re on a federal government site.


The site is secure.
The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.

How to handle unpayable debts

If a debt cannot be paid because the creditor has gone out of business or cannot be located, the treasurer may write to the FEC to request permission to discontinue reporting the debt. The letter must demonstrate that the debt is at least two years old and that efforts to ascertain the current address of the creditor and to reach the creditor have been made by registered or certified letter and either in person or by phone. The committee must continue to report the debt until the Commission determines that the debt is unpayable.