Allen Dickerson was nominated to the Federal Election Commission by President Donald J. Trump on September 16, 2020, and confirmed by the U.S. Senate on December 9, 2020.
Prior to his appointment, Dickerson was Legal Director of the Institute for Free Speech (IFS), where he led a nationwide litigation practice. He has appeared before numerous state and federal courts, argued more than a dozen appeals, and participated as counsel for parties or amici curiae in many of the most significant First Amendment cases of the last decade. While at IFS, he testified regularly before Congress, state legislatures, and regulatory agencies, and was a frequent speaker on campaign finance and political regulation topics. Earlier in his career, he was an associate with Kirkland & Ellis LLP in New York and an attorney for the Republican Governors Association.
Commissioner Dickerson received his undergraduate education at Yale College and his law degree from New York University School of Law. In addition to his work with the Commission, he serves as a captain in the Judge Advocate General's Corps, U.S. Army Reserve.
Statements and opinions
- MURs 7265 and 7266, Donald J. Trump for President, Inc. and Bradley T. Crate in his official capacity as treasurer, Donald Trump, Jr., Paul Manafort, Jared Kushner, and Rob Goldstone, May 10, 2021
- MUR 7181, Independent Women's Voice, May 10, 2021
- MURs 6917, 6929 (Governor Scott Walker, Scott Walker, Inc. and Kate Teasdale in her official capacity as treasurer, and Our American Revival and C. Ryan Burchfield in his official capacity as treasurer) and 6955, 6983 (John R. Kasich, Kasich for America, Inc. and J. Matthew Yuskewich in his official capacity as treasurer, and New Day for America and J. Matthew Yusekwich in his official capacity as treasurer, April 29, 2021
- MUR 7395, Heller for Senate and Chrissie Hastie in her official capacity as treasurer, Sen. Dean Heller, and Heller Enterprises, LLC, April 27, 2021
- MUR 7479, H. Russell Taub, Keeping America in Republican Control PAC and H. Russell Taub, in his official capacity as treasurer, April 6, 2021
- MUR 7140, Americans for Sensible Solutions PAC and David Garrett, April 5, 2021
- MUR 7140, Americans for Sensible Solutions PAC and David Garrett, April 2, 2021
- MUR 7243, Citgo Petroleum Corporation, et al., April 1, 2021
- MUR 7181, Independent Women's Voice, March 18, 2021