skip navigation
  • Tips for Treasurers

Committees need a tax ID number to open a bank account

August 28, 2017

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires political committees to obtain a tax ID number, formally referred to as an employer identification number (EIN). Your committee will need this number to open a bank account. The preferred and quickest way to obtain your committee's EIN is via the IRS's website. Visit for more information. Please note: The FEC does not issue EINs, nor may FEC staff answer questions about the rules that pertain to them or other tax law requirements. Visit or call 1-877/829-5500 for information about IRS requirements for political organizations.