At its open meeting of May 6, 2021, the Commission unanimously approved 14 legislative recommendations to send to Congress for consideration. The recommendations transmitted to Congress are available on the Commission’s legislation page.
The Commission’s recommendations urge enactment of legislation that would:
- Require electronic filing of electioneering communication reports;
- Grant the FEC the authority to create Senior Executive Service positions;
- Prohibit fraudulent PAC practices;
- Revise provisions prohibiting fraudulent misrepresentation of campaign authority;
- Extend the prohibition on conversion of campaign funds for personal use to all committees;
- Prohibit aiding and abetting the making of contributions in the name of another;
- Require disclosures to contributors regarding recurring contributions;
- Make the Administrative Fine Program for reporting violations permanent;
- Increase and index for inflation certain registration and reporting thresholds;
- Increase the in-home event exemption and unreimbursed travel expense exemption for candidates and political parties;
- Permit political committees to make disbursements by methods other than by check;
- Extend the time to establish reporting dates for special elections;
- Update citations to reflect the recodification of the Federal Election Campaign Act; and
- Repeal the convention funding provisions rendered non-operational by the Gabriella Miller Kids First Research Act.