skip navigation
Here's how you know US flag signifying that this is a United States Federal Government website

An official website of the United States government

Here's how you know

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you've safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

How to report

Registering as a Hybrid PAC

Hybrid PACs are political committees with non-contribution accounts that solicit and accept unlimited contributions from individuals, corporations, labor organizations, and other political committees to a segregated bank account for the purpose of financing independent expenditures, other ads that refer to a federal candidate, and generic voter drives in federal elections, while maintaining a separate bank account, subject to all the statutory amount limitations and source prohibitions, that is permitted to make contributions to federal candidates.

Reporting on PAC forms

Hybrid PACs file a Statement of Organization (Form 1) to register with the FEC.

In addition to filing the Form 1, Hybrid PACs also submit a letter stating:

Consistent with the stipulated judgment in Carey v. FEC, this committee intends to establish a separate bank account to deposit and withdraw funds raised in unlimited amounts from individuals, corporations, labor organizations, and/or other political committees. The funds maintained in this separate account will not be used to make contributions, whether direct, in-kind, or via coordinated communications, or coordinated expenditures, to federal candidates or committees.

Paper filers submit this information as a letter with the committee’s information.

Electronic filers can submit this letter as memo text added to a Form 1 submission using the FEC’s Form 1 webform.


The PAC submits a letter that notifies the Commission it intends to act as a hybrid PAC and includes the complete legal language from the Commission.