skip navigation
  • Tips for Treasurers

All committees need an Employer Identification Number

July 18, 2016

The IRS requires political committees to obtain a tax ID number, formally referred to as an employer identification number (EIN). Your committee will need this number to open a bank account. The preferred and quickest way to obtain your committee's EIN is via the IRS's website. Visit to begin the online EIN application process. Please note: An EIN is not the same as your FEC committee ID number and should not be listed on any FEC filings. The FEC does not issue EINs, nor may FEC staff answer questions about the rules that pertain to them or other tax law requirements. Visit for information about EINs and for information about general IRS requirements for political organizations.