Campaign Legal Center v. FEC (20-1778)
On June 30, 2020, the Campaign Legal Center (plaintiff) filed suit against the FEC in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia (the court). The plaintiff seeks injunctive and declaratory relief under the Federal Election Campaign Act ("the Act"). On October 14, 2020, the court entered a default judgment against the FEC.
According to the court complaint, on December 19, 2019, plaintiff filed an administrative complaint with the FEC, alleging that Iowa Values, a 501(c)(4) nonprofit, violated the Act by failing to register as a political committee and failing to report its contributions, expenditures, and debts as part of an "election-long effort" to support Iowa Senator Joni Ernst. Plaintiff claims that a leaked fundraising email and strategy memo demonstrate the "major purpose" of Iowa Values as campaign activity. Plaintiff alleges that fact, combined with the group’s calendar year contributions/expenditures exceeding $1,000, would require Iowa Values to register and report to the FEC.
The plaintiff requests that the court declare that the FEC has acted contrary to law by failing to act on the administrative complaint, and that the court order the FEC to conform with that declaration within 30 days.
On October 14, 2020, the court entered a default judgment against the FEC.
Source: FEC Record — July 2020
District Court (DC) (20-1778)
- Order (02/11/2021)
- Memorandum and Order (02/05/2021)
- Order (10/14/2020)
- Entry of Default (10/09/2020)
- Entry of Default (09/13/2020)
- Plaintiff's Motion for an Order Declaring that Defendant has Failed to Conform to the Default Judgment Order (01/27/2021)
- Plaintiff's Sur-Reply to Reply in Support of Statement of Interest of the United States of America (01/12/2021)
- Reply in Support of Statement of Interest of the United States of America (01/04/2021)
- Plaintiff's Response to Statement of Interest of the United States of America (11/16/2020)
- Statement of Interest of the United States of America (10/16/2020)
- Plaintiff's Motion for Default Judgment against Defendant FEC (09/17/2020)
- Complaint for Declaratory and Injunctive Relief (06/30/2020)