FECFile allows users to look up candidates and committees in the software. FECFile prompts users every 30 days to download the candidate/committee list. This list provides the current candidate/committee ID, address and other information. You can update the list more frequently by following these instructions:
- Go to the Download FEC Tools webpage.
- Choose the download format most convenient: Committees/Candidates Master List Compressed, Committees/Candidates Master List Un-Compressed or FEC Update File, which contains latest master list and contribution limits.
- Right click on the format link of choice.
- Click the Save Target As option.
- Preface the filename with %allusersprofile%\application data\fecapplications\fecfile\ to save the file to its operating location. For example: %allusersprofile%\application data\fecapplications\fecfile\fecupdates.zip
- Click "Save."
- If you're using the compressed format (Committees/Candidates Master List Compressed or FEC Update File), the data must be uncompressed to this same location before FECFile can use it.
- When you're done saving, close your browser.
The lookup database will be updated.