Reporting on Form 3X
Party committees report making debt payments on Form 3X. The schedule and line number used to report the payment will vary depending on the type of activity.
- If the committee is paying a debt for an operating expenditure that is paid for with 100% federal funds and is not Federal Election Activity (FEA), report the debt payment on Schedule B, Line 21(b).
- If the committee is paying a debt for an operating expenditure that is allocated between federal and nonfederal accounts, report the debt payments on Schedule H4, Line 21(a).
- If the committee is paying a debt for an independent expenditure, report the debt payment on Schedule E.
- If the committee is paying a debt for a coordinated party expenditure, report the debt payment on Schedule F.
- If the committee is paying a debt for Federal Election Activity (FEA) that is eligible for allocation between federal and Levin accounts, report the debt payment on Schedule H6, Line 30(a).
In addition, the payment will also be disclosed on Schedule D as a “payment this period.” The debt’s outstanding balance at the end of the reporting period will be reduced by the payment amount. The debt will be continuously reported on Schedule D until completely paid off.
Note that when the committee itemizes a payment to a credit card company, a payroll company, or reimburses a committee staff member, the committee must also itemize, as memo entry, payments to the original vendor. For payments on Schedule B, memo entries are required for any original vendor for whom payments exceed the $200 threshold during the calendar year. For payments on Schedules H4 or H6, memo entries are required regardless of the amount. The memo entry must include the name and address of the vendor, the purpose of the disbursement and the amount of the disbursement.