A PAC can disseminate an independent expenditure and then pay for the IE in a later reporting period. In addition to filing any 24 or 48-hour reports that may be required, the committee reports the independent expenditure as an outstanding debt until the expenditure is paid.
Reporting on PAC forms
Part 1: Reporting the dissemination of an independent expenditure
When a PAC disseminates an independent expenditure and then pays for it in a later reporting period, the committee reports the independent expenditure on Form 3X, Schedule E in addition to reporting the debt incurred on Schedule D.
The PAC discloses the dissemination of the independent expenditure as a memo entry on Schedule E, supporting Line 24.
To itemize this independent expenditure, the committee discloses:
- Name and address of payee if the payment or disbursement exceeds the $200 aggregate threshold for itemization
- Date of dissemination
- The payment date if known (if unknown, leave the field blank)
- Purpose of expenditure (e.g. radio, television, newspaper ad)
- Candidate supported or opposed, including the candidate’s name, office sought, state and district (if applicable), and election for which the disbursement was made
- Total amount expended in the aggregate during the calendar year per election, per office sought
- Memo item box – check this box if the IE was disseminated, but not paid for during the reporting period
The PAC also discloses the IE as a debt on Schedule D, supporting Line 10 in the report that covers the IE’s dissemination.
Part 2: Reporting paying for an independent expenditure
When the PAC pays for the independent expenditure on a subsequent report, the PAC itemizes the IE on Schedule E again, this time as a regular entry.
The PAC will also show the debt payment on Schedule D.
Schedule E requires a certification, under penalty of perjury, that the expenditure meets the standards for independence.
Reporting with FECFile
To add independent expenditures to a report, go to the Reports tab and select the report covering the independent expenditure. Next, go to the Summary Page tab, right click on “Line 24 Independent expenditures” and select “new.”